Would anyone else besides me...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MLUTiger, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

So you are saying that LSU should have been a NC contender with 3 losses?

I have mixed emotions about a team gaining a national title with more than one stumble. Two would be a stretch...but three losses?

2. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Chip, I am in full support of a play-off... and 8 teams seem to be the most managable.
    This isn't my idea, but I like it. The play-off starts two weeks after the conference championship games... with the 6 conference winners and two at-large selections. Like Div II, the first round of four games is played as home games for the top four ranked teams, 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.
    The next round of two games would be played New Year's Day, using two of the BCS bowl sites. The CG would be played two weeks later at a third BCS bowl. The fourth BCS bowl would rotate in each year and be used to host, say #8 vs. #9.

The reason we would have the top four play at home is simply money. Fans, as much as they want a play-off, can ill-afford to travel to three bowl games in six or seven weeks.... plus their own conference championship.... and quite honestly, there should be some benefit to finishing in the top four.

There.... you now have everything I know!!!

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

meant "host #9 vs. #10"... sorry

4. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

The system you posted sounds very reasonable and workable.

I would also be willing to bet that many fans would be willing to travel a little more if there was enough advanced preparation set up by the NCAA, just like there is with the NCAA basketball regionals and final four tourney.

I'm sure that regional neutral host sites could also be considered for schools that may be further north and might prefer to play indoors in December and/or January instead of in the snow. The Silverdome, Metrodome or ???

And you are right, the higher ranked team or team with the better record should get the crowd support advantage.

5. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

that was very aggravating. Not only that, but he did it with a straight face!!!!

6. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Why? Div I-AA, Div II, and Div III all have 16 team playoffs. The NCAA would conduct the playoff, if implemented, and I really don't see how they could justify doing a Div I-A playoff any differently than the other divisions.
    Check the link:
    http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/schedules