Would we end up like Tennessee?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Attack Tiger, Nov 1, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, the point that I was answering was your statement Patterson wouldn't leave TCU because "he was happy". I still think that is a meaningless statement that all coaches make.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Well believe me I am not trying to antagonize you, I am just trying for some honest debate.
    The reason I make that statement is he has been run at several times. I live in DFW and I know for a fact he decision to stay at TCU is a personal one more than a money one. He is paid pretty good, he has kids in schooling ages and doesnt want to uproot his family. So he says.
    Anyway I still argue what makes you think he would be a "High Profile" hire anyway. Yes I think TCU is fantastic I love watching them play.

But what sticks out to me is the "high profile" statement. What is the definition of that. We all wear purple and gold glasses and think every coach in football is lining up at the door to coach at LSU. Fact is, not the case. How do you think we got Miles. You really believe he was our first choice ?????

Note :I like Miles and hope he stays a long time. This is just for discussion purposes. I like how he represents our state and our program. I like our program and how its run. I like dont like our offense but not enough to run a coach who I think is a fine LSU Tiger and his quirkeness I think is a great fit for us, because frankly we are quirky.

Anyway I digress. I think if some of us take off the purple and gold glasses and face reality there are NOT a ton of High Profile coaches who would come here because "My god its LSU so much better than where I am at". More so after we ran off a very successful coach who has the best winning percentage of any coach in LSU history. Yes there are plenty of middle tier coaches who may be diamonds in the rough (Like Saban was).
    Meyer is a High Profile coach and I would go insane if we hired him.
    I wouldn't want his multiple arrests and thugs at all. Give me a good clean program with a few losses, then a criminal ridden team with wait.. More losses than us....

Look at Texas....... It happens sometimes you are on top sometimes you are middle of the pack and sometimes you are down. Right now we are middle of the pack, and its better than 95% of the programs in college football.

1 person likes this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I think who, what, and why will decide what list we have to choose from should Miles’ job become available. We fire a 10+ win/season coach, with a MNC and an SEC Champ, and a 4-1 Bowl record, and I don’t think that there are many top tier coaches beating our door down. We start to look for a coach because Miles leaves on his own terms and because he chooses to leave on his own, and that list starts to grow. Giving us the opportunity to choose from just about anyone we can think of.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

As long as we end up like Tennessee in the 90's and not LSU in the 90's, i'm cool.

5. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I think this discussion, though fun, is moot.

6. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I understand all the concerns with finding a coach if Miles leaves for whatever reason. I agree with Legacy. If he leaves on his own, we will have more options than if we were to fire him.

As for ending up like Tennessee, I think we would be better off than them. Tennessee is not a talent rich state, but Louisiana is talent rich and there are no major competitors within the state.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Fans may boo, they they haven't stopped buying tickets.

While about 95% of fans aren't happy with the end results these past 3 years, 100% of those fans know that deep down, LSU is 1 QB from topping the West and a QB + OC to win the SEC...

At least, I think thats how it is.

1 person likes this.
  8. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I think Trent Johnson is a winner.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

We definitely COULD end up like Tennessee.

A bad hire could send the program spiraling into the abyss.

A good hire would keep us where we need to be.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

And doing nothing in terms of our OC could have the same results, especially in terms of top recruiting talent. Who the hell is going to want to come to LSU if we can't move the ball consistently?
    I'm not on the get rid of Miles bandwagon as of yet, but if he doesn't make some drastic changes soon, he'll push himself out... of course another 4 years of these last 3 seasons, and season ticket prices could become very affordable... there's a silver lining in everything.