Would you ever cheer against LSU..............

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TN Tiger, Feb 8, 2005.

1. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

I probably should have phrased the question differently. I am not talking about verbally cheering against the team, but more like quietly hoping they lose so the coach will be dismissed. Much like what Mr. Peabody is expressing with John Brad....er, John Blake in his post above. It may be a dumb question but it has gotten some interesting responses. As I wrote earlier in the thread, some TN fans on the radio today were exclaiming that they were disappointed that UT beat LSU last Saturday because it mean't that Buzz Peterson may be around for another year.

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I have never rooted against LSU...I have rooted against John Brady. When he gets technicals, or gets tossed, etc...I hope it happens, in a certain sense. Anything that he can do to sully his reputation and make himself less successful, I'm glad he does it.

Having said that, I don't openly root for the team to lose...and have never pulled for another team-conference or non-conference opponent-to beat LSU...I have more respect for the school than that...

But, John Brady? Hell, I hope he trips every step he takes on the court...I hope he throws his larnyx out with each ridiculous scream...I secretly wish Lloreda would have slugged him instead of Paul Wolfert...

Maybe then Wolfert's dad wouldn't have withheld that HUGE donation to LSU he was setting up...

3. JAYDEAUNSTIGAHS

JAYDEAUNSTIGAHS Founding Member

If steve spurrier was head coach it would definitely be hard to root for LSU!!!!

Can't stand the big whiner baby.:bncry: :cry:

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Nope.

5. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Not even if my life depended on it...never... when I die, the sky will turn purple and gold for me.

6. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

No. If he is winning enough to keep his job, then he is winning enough to keep his job.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

HELL NO!!!!!

Unfortunately (and I'll explain the "unfortunate" wording after this statement), I could see us doing something like Nebraska and can the head coach, not nec. because of dumbfounded 4-7 seasons, but because he's not satisfying our thirst for greatness.

Now, I said "unfortunately" because I think Nebraska really did Solich an injustice. When you finish 8-4 and STILL get fired, that just tells me that there's one too many spoiled alumni with big pocket books that use their wallets to force the hand of the AD. And that kind of stuff needs to be kept out of college atheltics. But Baton Rouge is proved to be the college version of the Boston and New York media where writers are more than ready to call for a coach's head at the first premature sign that things MIGHT go wrong.

...and having lived in Boston for 4 years now, I can tell you first-hand that that type of media coverage sucks. Just like Nebraska, if your head coach gets fired after an 8-4 season, how many top-notch coaches do you think they'll continue to find, that's willing to walk into a place like that???

Sorry to go off on a little tangent, but I just hope that LSU never becomes THAT swell-headed. Yes, we all want national prominence...but I don't want to be firing coaches left and right just cause they finish .700. Cause the more you do (fire coaches) the more harder it becomes to find coaches willing to come.

I recently read Tales from the LSU Sideline , and in it, they talk about DiNardo's last few seasons. At one point, DiNardo declined to speak at an annual function, one that he had been doing for his previous 4 seasons. When Joe Dean made the comment to him, that all of our other coaches spoke at this annual function, DiNardo replied, "...thats because the other coaches don't make it 5 years here. This is my 5th year, so I'm taking it (speaking at the function) off...." Now...Like DiNardo or not, the man certainly had a point when he said that.

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Nope, not in a million years.

Now, I've gotten lethargic in the past, when it seemed like there was little emphasis placed on getting good results on the field and playing well, but that's not the same thing.

Basically, if the coaches and players seem to have thrown in the towel on a season, I tend to do the same. If they don't care, in essence, why should I?

It'd be like the ultra-talented brother of yours who goes through some slacker phase and underperforms in life; you still love him and want the best for him, but he needs to care about himself before you or anyone else can really do anything for him, you know? Has to find his own way, in a sense.

Besides, I have enough faith in the powers that be that those not committed to winning will be shown the door because we fans want and expect better.

*Shudder* What a chilling question. I mean, we have the Saints if we want to consider such a scenario (and, yes, I've openly hoped the Saints would lose, if only to get a coach booted or get a better draft position the next season).

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Regardless of the coach's situation, I could never pull for our players to lose, EVER !

10. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

NEVER , NEVER, NEVER!!!

:geauxtige