Would you have wanted Spurrier over Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DocBrooks, Apr 5, 2006.

1. clair

clair Rockets

that is why he improved South Carolina by a whole game

Les improved LSU by a whole game in 06

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Hell yes and anyone that says no either holds a grudge because of the UF losses or just doesn't know any-damn-thing about football. You need to look no further than the success he had at USC his first season with half the talent that LSU has on staff. USC will be SEC East Champs in two years. Three tops.

Russell throwing to Bowe, Doucet, Davis, Carter, etc. in a Spurrier-style offense would be sick...

He sucks in the Pro's, but you have to give the guy respect in college for what he has done at UF and last year with USC.

3. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I think for the short term Spurrier would have been a good fit. Imagine him with the "fun and gun" with that core of speedy receivers LSU has and a stable of qb's who can unload it down the field. I think it would be fun. I agree with the sentiment that Miles is better for the long term. He did great things at USC with lower tier SEC talent. I would imagine that its all hatred for Spurrier. He's one of those guys you love if he's on your side but hate him when he coaches the other team. He's a great coach and he would do some amazing things with LSU's talent.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Spurrier was more proven that Miles. I don't really care what they did with what teams in the past, except for how it reflects on what they can do for us in the future.

Spurrier didn't do an amazing job at USC. Miles did a heck of a job, IMO. Right now, I am glad we hired Miles. At the time of the hire, I probably would have preferred Spurrier.

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

That's what I'm screaming. Hell yes I would have preferred Spurrier. We only hate him because of the ass-thrashings he bestowed on us with regularity (except in '97!).

As for the long term vs short term thing, well Carr is very much on the short leash at Meechigan. If Les is successful here in the mean time, there is a very strong chance they'd pursue him (since he's an alum). Sure, he says he wants to stay here and all that stuff. But we ought to know better than to put much stock into that kind of drivel by now. It's kinda like the situation with Emmert, where he would have only left for his alma mater.

6. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

Only if you like winning and hanging about 50 a game on people.

7. ziabarilsu

ziabarilsu Founding Member

Theres a reason spurrier won SEC coach of the year this year. He took a team with marginal talent and beat some of the best programs this year. Not only did South Carolina beat UTenn for the FIRST TIME EVER @ knoxville, but they also beat 12 ranked Florida (first time since joining the SEC).

Les Miles did a good job with LSU, but you're nuts if you don't think spurrier is the better coach overall. Look what he did with Florida, recruiting year after year with other schools like FSU and Miami in the same state. Imagine what kind of recruiting job we'd have at LSU if he came here.

Not saying CLM doesn't do well at LSU, but spurrier is a PROVEN winner and I think most lsu fans wanted him here despite our rivalry's in the 1990's against florida.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I'd want Spurrier. Not that Miles isn't going to be a great coach but we know Spurrier can win a National Championship.

Even if he does retire early I feel as if we can find a coach equal to Miles at that point.

Since we didnt get Spurrier, I am 100% behind Miles and I do believe he will do a great job.

9. TigerNtz

TigerNtz Ridley

I agree that I would want spurrier... My great uncle is his financial advisor and semi-agent. But, Les Miles is the coach at LSU, and I am glad that he is here... hope he can do graet things with the talent we have at LSU.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I wouldn't call that a rivalry in the 90's, more like we were their little b|tches.

BTW, at the time of Saban's departure I would have definitely voted for Spurrier over Miles, but I'm happy with Miles. I think Miles will continue to have success here. If he doesn't, I think I've got Spurrier's number laying somewhere around here. I'll see if I can find it just in case.:wink::hihi: