Would you have wanted Spurrier over Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DocBrooks, Apr 5, 2006.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Yes, it would be much better if everyone just ignored the facts of the season and the success the team had under extra-ordinary circumstances and still had no faith in our coach.

And with all Miles had at the helm being the reason we went 11-2, why didn't Nick do at least that well in 2004? And that's not a knock on Saban, just the fact that guys like you totally discount the success last year's team had.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Inconsistent quarterback play combined with Georgia basing their whole season on one game. I won't point any fingers...:dis:

3. cajdav1

Still, Miles surpassed him in 2005 no matter how you look at it. Like I said, I'm not knocking Nick, guess that is why you said your not pointing fingers, but I am backing Miles job last season, he had what, the third best record in our history?

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

When I say I'm not pointing fingers, that means I really am.

What I'm getting at is if JR had done his work in practice, the Tennessee Titans safety wouldn't have played a down that season. That's not to say he didn't represent LSU well and have a few good games, he just was never able to consistently perform to the level of a championship quarterback.

Miles had a great season. His detractors still are focused on the Tennessee meltdown and the way Skip handled his hiring. His closed practices and perceived inability to communicate thoughts don't help much.

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Miles ended up with a nice season last year, but the way we looked in games was indicitive of anything but dominance. I want to give him time, but I'm not fully won over at this time.

6. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I pick Miles over Spurrier. Why? Miles hired Top notch coaches & is a much better recruiter. Why isn't Pelini or Peveto currently working under Spurrier? Why wasn't Spurrier able to pull even a Top 20 recruiting class? Spurrier has a "Pretty" Offense, but he still doesn't seem to care that much about his Defense.

:geauxtige

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Saban's '04 squad looked far worse than last year's team, playing uninspired football from the first possession against Oregon State to the last second loss in the Capital One Bowl.

And let's not forget the stress our '05 team played under. The Tennessee meltdown was almost inevitable, as was running out of gas in the SECCG.

At this point, I'm happy with Coach Miles. Under almost impossible circumstances (Katrina/Rita and following Saban, who won a NC), he pulled off the best first-year record in the history of LSU football and was the first Tiger coach to beat Florida, Alabama, and Auburn all in the same season.

Give the man his due props. And, yes, I realize the cupboard was fully stocked for him.

8. cajdav1

I disagree with that, I'm sure he will keep striving to hire a great defensive guru to head up his D, just like when he hired Stoops at UF. He knows that in order to win on the big stage his Cocks will have to be able to stop the offenses in the SEC as well as in bowl games. He's a smart cookie and knows his only national title had a lot to do with Stoops coaching his defense.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I just wanted to point out there was more being said by his "detractors" than just what was brought up. I'm not a hater, just a waiter. I'm satisfied at this point with Miles, that last win was huge. Saban had ups and downs throughout, so I wouldn't use one of Saban's down years to compare Miles and Saban. I would use the totality of games under Saban. Last season was nice considering the final product, I just don't want to make it something it wasn't. But if you are completely satisfied with Miles at this point, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Just a small difference of opinion.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Which is too bad, because you really deserve green for your post!:thumb: