Would you start Mestepey this Friday?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pensacola, May 2, 2005.

?

Would you start Mestepey Friday?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

I would not start him on Friday......I would move the Clay and Smith up to Friday and Saturday. If we win the first two games i would start Lane on Sunday and it we split the first 2 games i would go with English, Determann, or Meier. JMO

2. jarad

jarad Founding Member

I wouldnt have started him last week and was upset when I heard he was starting. At this time of the year we dont have the time for him to work out of a slump, we need to win games. I know he is the leader but when you play in the SEC you have to put the best product on the field.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

totally agree. i've always thought that smoke has underutilized meier, particularly in omaha. i remember 2 yrs ago when us and SC got into that slugfest, i was dying for smoke to start JM b/c he had already beaten SC that year (and only gave up 1 run in a CG). so petit the meatballer goes out and gives up some ridiculous run total (like 5 or 6) in the first inning. we fought back to within one run, but would have won handily had it not been for that 6-spot in the first. and last year, he finally brough in meier, but only after SC had totaled up 7 or so. again, entirely too late. and this was after a stellar performance in the regionals. i'm sure he would have done fine had the super-regional gone to a 3rd game. so yeah, i think lane should pitch midweek and meier should go on friday.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Meier has sure had his tough moments the past season and a half, I don't know how anyone could be too sure of him either.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I'd make a change, just to give Mestepey a break. Maybe throw him in relief if the situation is right. I certainly wouldn't throw in the towel on him for the year, though. I think we need him if we want to go deep in postseason.

With that said, I'm glad Smoke isn't making a change this weekend b/c he indicated he would move Dirks and Smith up a day. I'm not fond of messing with the entire rotation when 2 out of 3 are pitching well. I know some say it shouldn't matter when and where you pitch, but it does. More pressure and a different mindset for a Friday night pitcher. I would hate to take Dirks and Smith out of their groove right now.

6. cajdav1

I wish college schedules were similar and that all teams played 2 mid week games, making everyone use all of their pitchers on the roster. I really wish Nall, English, Meier, Ramirez and whoever else is on the roster got a lot more time facing opponents.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I would take 15 minutes out of practice, have Mestepey lay in the infield, and then dog pile him again. Those memories might shake him out of his funk...or hurt him again and settle the discussion for good.

8. cajdav1

:hihi:

If we win a Super and the players dogpile again I'll die.

9. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

I predict:
    Mestepey wins a 1 run squeaker and gets his confidence back for the stretch run.

10. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

All right, you 58%, you know who you are.