Wouldn't Cap One Bowl want LSU?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 28, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You say that every time you disagree with me.

Uhhh, no it doesn't. I go to a trade show in Dallas every January. There have been two ice storms in the last 20 years that weekend, and it's cold and windy almost every time. Are you seriously trying to tell me that it's not cold and windy in Dallas in January. The average low is 34 and the high is 54. And windy.

I've been to a couple of cold-ass Cotton Bowls in Dallas. How about you? No?

Ok, list for us all of these fine touristy things for bowl fans to do in Dallas. Eat at nice restaurants? We can do that anywhere. Go see a basketball or a hockey game? Ditto. Nice stores? Sure, any big city has nice stores. What exactly does Dallas have to compete with the big theme parks, wildlife parks, resorts, and warmer weather of Orlando?

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I thought you were older than me...but I didn't realize you were THAT old...

Don't know if you've ever realized this, but LSU fans like to party. I would rather go to the Cap One than the Peach, but I'd rather go to Atlanta than Orlando. Dallas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Orlando...unless you're between 4-12, or between 65-112.

1 person likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I knew you couldn't list any.

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Because that's not what Dallas is. Dallas isn't a retirement city, and Mickey Mouse doesn't live there. Like I said, unless you're 4-12, or 65-112, Dallas>>>Orlando.

5. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Downtown Ft. Worth has a lot of "establishments" and activities as well. :LSU231:

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Yep. And quite frankly, Ft. Worth>>>Dallas. Awesome place to visit.

7. stk

stk Founding Member

Weather wise there is no comparing DFW vs Orlando, despite the conditions last year. There is plenty of partying to be done in downtown Orlando and now that Amway arena is open the area is getting better. There is even some near authentic New Orleans food available downtown at a new restaurant called Mojo's.

Tailgating does suck at the stadium here, how is it in the new cotton bowl? I'm not impressed with Dallas either, but there is plenty to do there.

8. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

Off the top of my head:

Six Flags over Texas.
    Great Wolf Lodge (huge indoor water park and resort)
    Gaylord Resort
    Fort Worth Zoo (high quality, very impressive)
    Dallas Zoo (charming, still great)
    House of Blues (I got VIP access to the place, gimme a hollar ;) )
    Speed Zone
    Excellent Childrens Museum (a new, massive one is being built)
    Some of the best winter Golfing in the world
    World class shopping (don't tell your wife)
    Massive gay district (or so I heard <cough>)
    Go see where JFK got nailed.
    Two airports that are usually easy to get in and out of (ever been to the Orlando airport?).

If you are in town for a few days there is no lack of fun and entertainment for all ages, religious preferences, and sexualities.

I also want the Cotton Bowl because that would mean that the next two LSU games would be in Jerry Jones's Deathstar, which is state-of-the-art, unlike the old Cotton Bowl. It looks good on TV, and watching a live game is an incredible experience. Orlando would still be cold, and a crappy stadium.

More importantly, I'll be able to see LSU play against two top-tier OOC opponents without having to go to Baton Rouge and deal with the high population of cranky, Miles-hating fairweather fans, like half of the people on this forum. There is a large LSU fan base here already, so filling the stadium won't be a problem. This is also fertile recruiting ground.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

This may be the best post I've ever read on this forum...especially the last paragraph.

Yes Red, I could've listed every one of those things, but it was such a ridiculous assertion (not a lot to do in Dallas), that I didn't think it warranted a serious reply. Great Wolf Lodge, the Gaylord, awesome places. When I am deployed there, and Fishette and the minnows come in town, we usually spend a couple nights at the Great Wolf. If you have kids...and money...it's the coolest place in the world. And as mentioned, golf out the wazoo. But I guess you can only go outside if it's above 60 fahrenheit. :rolleye33: An old guy like yourself though, I figure you'd at least like the JFK history. Speed Zone is a blast with the minnows when we go. Nice Aquarium in addition to the zoos. Not to mention the night life, in addition to HOB. World class shopping, world class nightlife.

10. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

A) 54 isn't cold

B) I had a similar type argument before about Orlando. Me and one friend both said that for the first trip to Orlando/CF that it is one of the A+ vacations you can take. There's so much to do in the area. Of course, most people go more than once and each time it's not as awesome as the first time.

Having lived there I can say that there's a lot that out of towners won't do because they don't know about it or don't have the time. There's a lot of nature stuff like the caves, rivers, trails, beaches, etc that you kinda need to know a local to find out and go to.

I've never been to Dallas so I can't say anything about it.