WOW ... UGA will "hand scan" students with student tickets......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBud, Aug 9, 2004.

1. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Just read this post on a Georgia board. Not sure of the authenticity, HOWEVER, in an effort to stop students from selling their tickets or letting other students borrow their I.D.'s for the games, Georgia will start doing "hand scans" to make sure that the student using the ticket is the student it was allocated to.

If this is true, I would think that LSU wouldn't be too far behind. And, there could be some sort of "penalty" for students who habitually don't show up and/or return their tickets for resale to students who want to show up. By "penalty" I mean the loss of buying privileges the following year. We see all sorts of posts from students who are disappointed because they didn't get tickets. And, they are equally upset because they know other students who have no intention of going to the games but buy them for friends or to scalp. The "hand scan" would be an "interesting" solution!

Author dawguga
    READ......CONCERNING TICKETS....

Those who used student tickets in prvious years with no problem may know last year they started checking student id's for the tickets. I am a student here and have seen work on student gates only(wondering what they were??)
    Thursday I saw them running wires and putting hand scanners in for students. EveryUGA studnet has their hand scanned when they first get here. So no more borrowing id's or sneaking in. Sorry about the bad news.:eek

Freshman
    8/7/04 9:21:11 pm

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

LOL, Georgia says this every year.....when the gates open and so forth....they will not.

They said last year they would do the same and even took an article out in the student paper with it.....and when the lines came up.....they didnt.

Will they? Maybe....but its one of those things I have heard for 3 years with no action.

3. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

It would be a lot easier to do at Georgia than at LSU. My sister went to Georgia (traitor) and they use hand scanners in the cafteria to automatically charge a students account for lunch. It wouldn't be a big leap to see this in practice come game day.

4. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Did they actually go through the trouble of putting in the hand scanning machines the last three years???

I have no idea if this guy is credible, but he says that he actually saw them putting in the scanning machines. I doubt they would put in the machines if they didn't intend to use them.

But, it shows how things have changed. My first year at LSU ('83), all students needed to do was to show their I.D.'s. They punched a little "triangle" in the bottom of your I.D. for each game you attended.

THAT WAS IT! No ticket. No money. NOTHING. Every game was FREE. AND, everyone got in the first two games.

Then, it seems the entire student body showed up for the Univ. of Washington game and the Fire Marshall had a fit. They changed the policy the next year to require a ticket (which were still FREE). But, you had to turn in your I.D. the Monday before the game and then pick up your ticket later that day. I never heard of anyone being denied a ticket, but I'm sure some were.

Up until the East Upper Deck expansion, the Washington game was the most highly attended game in LSU history.

5. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Bud, this may be the year that Georgia actually does do it....I really am not sure....I havent gone by the stadium since I came back up here.

I am just saying that every year UGA says something about this new law or this new thing they will do....and dont do it.

He could be right though.

6. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

LSU and Georgia are going through their "success years". We're the new Alabama, Florida and Tennessee of the 70's through 90's. And, with success, there is always a price. We just got our seat "license" donations this year.

It's all about success!!! And, I'm HAPPY to pay for it!

Hopefully, it will be a LONG ride for both UGA and LSU!!!

Screw Bama, FU and Phat Phil!

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

They use hand scanners at ULL for students. We dont even get tickets, they just check the picture on our ID's and scan them. In ULL's case, i disagree with this idea. Allowing students to give their tickets to family members and such would boost attendence. And we REALLy need more attendence.. Heh

8. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

What if you have no hands? :confused:

9. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

BUMMER!!!

And, I don't mean just for LSU tickets!!!

10. IAM4LSU2

IAM4LSU2 Founding Member

I dont know if i like the idea of that, having your prints on file and all. Who knows that they could use that info for. As someone who hasnt been arrested, I would refuse something like that. You guys think it is "ok" for that to happen? Not trying to start an arguement but i guess thats where this is going.