Wow. We really need a QB.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jean Lafitte, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

You can't win in the SEC with the way we are playing right now.

Ole Miss is winning 3-0, and, honestly, 3 points look like enough to outscore the Tigers tonight.

OK! No more negative thoughts from me!

2. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Well now that it is over I believe Marcus deserves the game ball. He played one hell of a game. If we could hold on to the football the offense would of looked a lot better. We will have to play a lot better Friday.

3. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

His numbers are pretty good.

Randall's game was rough around the edges, but he definitely improved a bit.

I like the kid. I'd love to see Randall follow in Rohan Davey's footsteps.

4. AtlantaTiger

AtlantaTiger Freshman

Randall can produce for us if we put him in a system that matches his athletic qualities. We should run a spread formation with 4 receivers and one tailback. One of the receivers should be DD in the slot where he can work over the middle or flats 1-1 vs. linebackers. TOE, JA and SC can work at tailback with sprint draw or basic misdirection with Randall as another running option.
    If we need to go to the I ( which why should we ?) than Jimbo needs to hit the TE on hot routes (similar to what Ole Miss was doing to us) and why are we not throwing quick slants to JM (possesion receiver) These routes are very difficult to defend! Last the shuttle pass is a safe play to our tailbacks in the spread formation- if its dropped its incomplete not a fumble . Opposing defensive lines are charging upfield on LSU, the shuttle underneath to Toe, JA or can you imagine Jimbo how bout SC-its a perfect play with him for big yards

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Sounds like you play too much PS2 football, nobody has ever won anything in real world football playing the run-n-shoot. So when the Tigers line up like this, how do you suggest we run the ball? Or do you think the Tigers should throw the ball 60 to 70 times a game, like it's a video game? What should we do when Randell throws 4 ints in the first half since we will not have a running game and he has to throw too much, change the system again for the next QB in the 3rd?

You don't solve an offense's problems (And that of an inexperienced QB) by throwing the ball more times a game. I'll grant you that pretty passes and long gains are fun to watch, but you don't build an offense around that (and you don't force a young QB to throw that many times).

I think in order for the Tigers to improve they will need to control the line of scrimmage and keep their D off the field (or atleast be able to rest them). With all the 3 and outs we have had lately, our D has been put in crappy situations (situations caused by passing turning overs and bad passing reads). By going to a pass based O, it would only get worse. Our time of possesion would drop, our D would be on the field the whole game, and the opposing D would just line up and rush our QB into bad reads.

6. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I do not think he was calling for the run n shoot. I think he is saying MR seems more comfortable in a shotgun formation, so it should be used more than just in passing situations. There have been some great teams that used the spread offense more than they used their "base" offense. Charlie Ward at Florida State for one. Even OKLA uses a simliar formation for about 30% to 40% ot its offense.
    I do think the offense does not seem to have a sense of what type of offense they are(finess vs power; big play offense vs a patient one). The QB play has been poor, but there have also been drop passes, fumbles, penalties, unimagitive play calling, etc. We do not look sharp on any part of our offense. We have had only two full games(ULL and Florida) where we looked like a good offensive unit.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Hopefully

Randal is settling into his role and is becoming more comfortable with the speed of the game. He made throws, on target, that he had not been making in previous starts. Hopefully he will continue to improve. Minust he turnovers, if Randal plays as well, vs Arkansasaal, as he did vs Ole Miss we should be in Atlanta in a couple of weeks. I think the defense can conatain Arkansas if the offense can generate enough to keep the TOP equal.

8. AtlantaTiger

AtlantaTiger Freshman

I'm sorry LSU fan if the intent of my message wasn't clear- as the Dallas fan expressed the spread formation opens up the defense and the running game. Everyone expects us to run and they put 8 plus players in the box...good luck. The spread allows us to put our talented TB's in open running lanes using the shuttle pass or draw; Randall is also a threat running which open up passing lanes. We can also throw a simple flat pass to the TB's in this formation allowing them to get the corner vs. bullwhiped with 8 in the box.

9. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

No problem, I did miss the point of your post. After weeks and weeks of reading how LSU needs to throw more often, I took it all out on your post (without fully realizing the message you were trying to get across). I still don't feel spreading the field will help us run the ball better than our standard formations, but with Randell in as QB it would work much better (since he is also a running threat).

I think LSU will not open the Offense up much for the ARK game, it will be a real old fashion 3 yards and a cloud of dust type game. But if we win, LSU will certainly have to spread the field more against GEORGIA.