WR Frustratiion

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

If this is the definition of "drop", and it likely is, then yes...there were some drops.

Drop- a ball that the receiver touches with two hands, but doesn't catch.

With that said, there wasn't ONE pass that hit the receiver in stride, or that they didn't have to contort their body to get their two hands on it. If they catch it, it would've been the end of the play. Sure, 4-5 yds is better than 0 yds, especially if it was 3rd and 3. But I ain't putting that performance on the receivers. These guys are tailor made for YAC, especially a guy like Shep, and they just can't get it because the balls are poorly thrown. You can just as easily say that the receivers bail him out a lot of times by actually catching those poorly thrown balls. Of his 8 completions, I'd give him 4 that were 'good' passes. The other 4 were thanks to the receivers. And that duck into the end zone (barely) was atrocious. You've got a 6'5" senior WR on a CB 1/2 foot shorter, and you underthrow a 15 yd pass by 5 yds? :confused:

That said, it was far and away JJ's worst game ever, but it's time to get Lee some "quality" PT. They let him throw with LSU backed up near their own goalline. I didn't think they would. But if they're willing to do that, I hope they're willing to get him in the game EARLY next weekend.

2. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Alright. Enough trashing of the student athletes. Kids a Tiger doing the best he can, has done everything asked of him, has not caused trouble, never been in the papers for off the field crap and has always been positive every time I've seen him. You cant ask for more than that. It's one thing to want to see more JL but no need to tear a kid down that has been nothing but a class act.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The only ones I count are the ones that should have been caught. Didn't count the high one to Shep that he was trying to tip to himself and touched it with both hands. WRs are going to have to catch balls that aren't perfect at every level.

Not saying in the least that it was all the WRs or all of JJs fault but when there are catchable balls that can and should be caught they need to be to gain rhythm and consistency and JJ needs to make the throws as accurate as possible to achieve the same goal.

This is something Billy Gonzales recognized from the tapes last year and made it a main focus this off season the second he stepped on campus so I think he will get it worked out sooner rather than later.

4. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

No one is trashing the "kid". They've pointed out his lack of performance and how they would like to see another class act get a try. JJ has had his chances and God knows he was better his freshmen year than JL was at that time. However, right now JJ isn't getting it done so it's time to move to the next qb.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Learn how to use the quote function. I assume you're talking to me, but I'm not trashing JJ or anyone. I've been taking up for JJ since he stepped on the field for the first time here. If by trashing you mean stating facts, then you may wanna redefine the word...or quit reading.

6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Wrs have a right to get frustrated with bad passes but the truth is, if it hits you in the hands...you.catch.it.

Tough catches are tough, but that is what separates a good WR from a first rounder. We have the talent at the position, they just have to live up to it with their hands. JJ will hit them in stride, and he will throw behind them or high or low. Again, when it comes to WRs, the mantra is "it hits you in the hands, you catch it."

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I don't think anyone disagrees that WRs should catch it if it hits their hands...but they were not good passes. A lot of the catches were bad passes too. It would be nice if MOST of the throws hit them in stride, and then when it didn't, they made a great catch. Early Doucet made Matt Flynn look very good by doing this. But at this point, I'd be happy if just 1/3 of the passes hit the WR in stride where he could get some YAC. These guys are YAC mahines given the opportunity.

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Better?

I don't need to re quote the whole thread which is post after post saying how bad he sucks.

I love how if you make any negative comments about the guys making millions to teach these kids your branded a "Negatiger" but it's fine to trash the amateur athletes doing their best to represent their state and school. As long as he is putting in 100% and following he rules I'm going support him while he's on the field. If he's being asked to make throws that he doesn't have the skills to make it's not his fault.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, no one has really made any personally disparaging remarks about any players, just about their performances. They are athletes at the state university and public figures in that regard. Most of the personal incivility around here has been directed at each other and to the coaches, not to the players.

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I would be happier too but it doesn't change the reality for WRs. Hits your hands you can't drop it. The only time any coach cut me slack for a drop was if I got blown up in the process. Yes, our QB(whoever) must pass better if YAC is desired, but some of those balls of JJ's were catchable, ugly or not. So maybe JJ goes 13 of 20 instead - 3 clearly dropped passes and 2 better passes as a result. Does it make much of a difference? To a QB's confidence when he is having a bad game?

Yes. When your QB is struggling, you have to give him every chance to make a play. In basketball when a shooter is struggling, you get him layups. Confidence and momentum is usually the difference between "what ifs" and "I told ya so". :thumb: