WR Frustratiion

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, Sep 12, 2010.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

You have to remember the RS has never played WR until last year and has not been able to full concentrate on receiving until this year. His hands will only get better.

2. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

IMO It sems like JJ is always trying to laser passes in there. He has no touch on the football. We had a similar situation in Houston when Andre Johnson first joined the Texans.....David Carr would laser the passes in there and Johnson couldnt catch them to save his life, then when Carr got hurt, Tony Banks came in and would put touch on his passes, Johnson would go get the balls and we move the football, and the chemistry between them looked a lot better

Im no coach, I dont know if this would work, its just a reminder and thats all. For all I know J-Lee is still not a SEC caliber qb and JJ will never improve.....

3. LSU_4_LIFE

And on another note, is Tolliver just not getting open or JJ just not even looking his way? At this point, Tolliver is nothing more than a decoy to take the best cover man out of the game to leave the Randle & Shepard to lead our receivers.

You have to throw the football up & deep for TT to go do what he does at least once or twice game.....maybe even more....he is a great athlete with great hands and leaping ability.

4. LSU_4_LIFE

Or even see a double reverse with PP on the field. The opposing defense would sh!t thier pants with RS going one way, PP going another, TT going deep, ridley hanging in the flat........thats too many weapons. I doubt we could execute something that complex, we better stick to running between the tackles :thumb:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Tolliver caught three passes and had another two or three thrown badly at him. He's getting open, he's blocking downfield, and running decoy routes like all good receivers do.

6. LSU_4_LIFE

I know, but averaging 3 catches a game for 7.8 yds is not the ideal season we had in mind for TT.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Perhaps, but with three hot wideouts and a surprisingly good receiving tight end, we're going to have to spread around the receptions.

8. LSU_4_LIFE

I understand what you are saying, TT does great job of pulling defenders away from other receivers, away from the run - especially on Shepard end arounds and does a great job of down field blocking.

We need to spread the field and the receivers, but TT has a AJ Green type of ability..... a weapon that should be more utilized, and until we get a more poised and accurate JJ or QB....whats typed above his all he is good for

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Defenses are throwing more double teams at Toliver because he is an experienced senior as opposed to 2 sophomores. Even Toliver said this after the UNC game - he asked JJ to focus on Randle since he was getting double teamed.

Unfortunately for our rivals, they will find a choice like that is damned if you do, damned if you don't. Randle and Shepard will continue to produce. If JJ just plays average, Toliver will get his catches.

10. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

We have a receiving core that should give DCs nightmares. Until we get better QB play, Toliver may not have a very good year.