Writer asks Bama to leave SEC....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BamaMatt, Jun 14, 2003.

1. BamaMatt

BamaMatt Founding Member

2. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

Writer asks Bama to leave SEC....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for Tide to leave the SEC
    Commentary by Tim Stephens

BIRMINGHAM POST-HERALD

Dear Dr. Witt:

I know you're probably busy at the moment showing new football coach Mike Shula around, making sure Mike Price doesn't get paid and answering letters from Jesse Jackson, but I have some important information I must share with you.

In your brief time as president of the University of Alabama, you already have demonstrated that you have what it takes to lead Crimson Tide football back to the top. Firing Price took courage, and it was brilliant. Alabama football is already better for it.

But there is now something else you must do (and no, I'm not referring to hiring an athletics director) to restore Alabama football to its rightful place on the throne.

You must get Alabama out of the SEC.

Before you say I am crazy, please hear me out. You are new to these parts, so maybe you don't yet understand just what a den of snakes the Southeastern Conference has become. Please allow me to enlighten you.

There was a time, Dr. Witt, when all of the other SEC teams lived in fear of the Crimson Tide and its 75 conference titles and 25 national championships. They graciously deferred to Alabama and took their whippings like men. There was mutual respect.

But times have changed, and not for the better. This league just doesn't show Alabama any respect anymore. Infidels such as Tennessee, Auburn and Arkansas do unspeakable things such as beat Alabama in football games and turn Alabama into the NCAA for cheating when UA boosters pay more to recruits than theirs do.

Who do those people think they are? Don't those rubes know Alabama football is the SEC? Anything they have is because the University of Alabama made SEC football important. They should show a little gratitude.

As president of the university, you must do something about this.

As you may have noticed, the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big East Conference have been fighting over possession of three universities — Miami, Boston College and Syracuse — and now appear headed to court to sort out their differences.

With ACC expansion temporarily put on hold, this is the perfect opportunity for the University of Alabama to rid itself of the SEC parasites and chart a new, better course for its future.

The University of Alabama is a perfect fit for the ACC. Please call ACC Commissioner John Swofford and tell him the Crimson Tide is on the way and that Syracuse can stay in the Big East where it belongs. Also, if Boston College doesn't really want to delve into Tobacco Road, they can stay behind. I know you could convince the University of Kentucky to come on board, too. Like Alabama, Kentucky was railroaded by the NCAA and the turncoat SEC office that did nothing to protect its most valuable resources.

This helps the ACC, too. If UA and Kentucky replace Boston College and Syracuse on the expansion list, the ACC gets better teams and that nasty little Big East lawsuit goes away. Miami gets what it wants (a good football conference), the ACC gets what it wants (12 good teams for a championship game) and the Big East gets what it wants (continued prosperity).

And the SEC gets what it deserves.

Just imagine how much better the ACC would look if it added the SEC's premiere football and basketball programs. Imagine playing football games against Miami, Florida State and Clemson (which is Auburn with a better view). It would be great to renew a rivaly with Georgia Tech. And the weaker teams in the ACC such as Duke and Wake Forest are no worse than the SEC's weak link, Vanderbilt.

Imagine bringing basketball teams such as North Carolina and Duke to Coleman Coliseum instead of dogs such as Ole Miss and South Carolina. Imagine being regarded in the same academic circles with fine universities such as the University of Virginia instead of lowbrow cow colleges like Auburn and Mississippi State.

Imagine University of Alabama sports events being televised in homes up and down the Atlantic Coast instead of in little dumpy towns in the Louisiana and Mississippi backwaters or the redneck Arkansas and Tennessee hills (do they even have cable in those places?)

If you are bold enough to make this move, Alabama quickly would be back in major bowl games every year. Alabama would be respected again by competitors and wouldn't have to resort to cheating to keep up with all the other cheaters in the SEC.

I think I speak for most Alabama fans when I tell you the rest of the SEC traitors can go straight to you-know-where.

Please take the Tide to the ACC.

Sincerely,
    Tim

Tim Stephens is sports editor of the Birmingham Post-Herald.

Come on Tigers!!!!!!!!

3. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Dumpy Louisiana towns?

Evidently, this moron is blind. Hasn't he seen some of the places in Alabama?

Doe Alabama even have a city of the size of New Orleans? NO!

I'll take Louisiana over Alabama any day.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Down Tennessee. That was sarcasm at it's very best.

5. Latide97

Latide97 Founding Member

Yeah Tenn tiger dont let it get to ya. I have spent a lot of time in both states. Louisiana and Alabama both have their fair share of dumpy towns.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

"With ACC expansion temporarily put on hold, this is the perfect opportunity for the University of Alabama to rid itself of the SEC parasites and chart a new, better course for its future"

A maggot like Stephens is calling everybody eles parasites through a mouthful of Dead Bear.

7. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Since the Bear died, the series is Bama 12 wins, LSU 7 wins and one tie. LSU is still losing ground. ;)

According to the Census, there are about 12,000 more people in the state of Louisiana than Alabama. That number would be considerably higher if Louisiana counted every worker that swims the Sabine River to come to work each morning.

The article was nothing but satyr.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The author is taking a shot at Bama's haughty attitude. He's fer us, not agin us.

9. Orange Tiger

Orange Tiger Founding Member

I'm waiting for a satire piece on Texas.

Many Texas fans feel we run the Big 12. No Texas (and A&M), no Big 12. :dis:

10. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Let's see here...go to birmingham and do nothing, go to mobile and spend time on the "coast" or go to New Orleans for the parties and Shreveport for the boats. I will take NO and S'port any day...