WTF?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, May 7, 2006.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We are marginally more talented or maybe less talented than UF, UT and UGA. Anyone who states definitely that we have more talent than all teams in the SEC is definitely looking through Purple colored glasses.

And having questions about certain area's of the team along with the road schedule is being level headed, not being pessimistic. Believing that anything less than a top 5 will be disappointing is not being realistic IMO. Believing we have a good shot at a top five is, again in my opinion.

What happened vs Miami last year has absolutely no bearing on how good this team will be, just like what happened vs UGA doesn't show how bad we will be.

2. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

That's also a level headed assessment. Talent aside, the key is team chemistry, and how well everyone is playing in sync and communicating with each other. Of course , talent is a must; but at that level, the other intangibles start to become a key factor, including mental toughness, and playing mistake free ball.
    ________
    New Mexico Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Just like my prediction last year, 9-2. We will have a lot of new starters, a younger squad than last year. JR will have a season under is belt, a plus for us. Flynn is battle tested, another plus.

We've recruited well, so the talent potential is there. The coaches have proven they can get the job done, but they can also miss a game here & there, like Tenn. and SECCG last year. Kids bio-rythms can be off, who knows.

If new starters step up and the team gels, 10-1 is a possibility. If the coaches do an outstanding job every game, 11-0 is a remote possibility. Teams in the top half of the SEC are close talent wise, look at where they finish in the top 15 in recruiting nationally. LSU has good talent, but so do Auburn, Fla, Ga., Tenn.

All toughtest games on the road.

9-2, ranked #10.

4. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

12-2 winning the SEC championshipand Sugar Bowl ranked #4 in the country. Losses at UT and AU. Beat UGA in the SEC Championship game.

HouTiger which game are you predicting to get canceled as LSU is playing a 12 game schedule this year?

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

And if that's the case, that's when you have to have confidence in our coaching staff to address it. And since it would be hard to do much along the O-line, I would imagine that we would need to have a QB with either a quicker release, or enough mobility to escape pressure.

6. clair

clair Rockets

if that isn't a hint that you think flynn should start, then i don't know what is! hahaha

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Not really. Personally, I don't think anyone should lose their starting job due to injury (I believe that a job needs to be won over when all players involved are competing at 100%).

So I actually favor JR as the starter to begin the season. And if he's not 100%, and considering the QB position isn't a situation in which we have one clear-cut starter that at 80% is better than a 100% healthy back-up, then it's easy for me to say that Flynn (and/or RP if you will) be named the starter until JR is 100%. Once he's (JR) at 100%, then the competition for the starting position should take place.

BUT, if a situation occurs (like CParso pointed out) where our O-line hasn't come together and is allowing too much pressure, then I would think you would have no choice than to go with a more mobile QB.

8. clair

clair Rockets

I think certainly the great thing about this season is that we have a few throwaway games early that we can do some experiments with... (ULL, Tulane, etc...)

But then again, UNT was supposed to be that also, and we all know how Mother Nature ruined it... so we can only HOPE we have a few throwaway games early :yelwink2:

9. jwb0581

jwb0581 Founding Member

Thanks for the tip CParso...

After studying the depth chart, my first concern is: will we be able to stop the run? I'm not sold on our front seven on defense. I wonder if the smashmouth teams like Auburn and Tennessee will be able to pound it right at us.

I love our secondary. It looks spectacular to me.

Offense looks hard to read, with uncertainties at QB and OL. The skill position talent is certainly there, though.

10. clair

clair Rockets

the 2 names that will make it happen:

Beckwith at LB

and Dorsey at DT...

if those 2 step up and have good seasons, our defense will be just as good, if not better than last year