Xavier Carter Done With LSU Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CajunPunk, Jun 20, 2006.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I was beat out by a guy who said he'd do it for free. Some guy huh? .... Sheesh, allllllll of that work for nothing? Pshhhhh, not me...

2. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

Per the Advocate, he's staying in school to finish his degree at LSU.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I agree. It was probably a good move for him. Looking forward to seeing him in the Olympics.

4. Bengal Buddy

Hell yes I would turn it down. You can't put a dollar sign on self-respect. And he was not a bust because he took a better offer. He was a bust because of his lack luster stats over the last two years.

5. Bengal Buddy

Good point, and disappointing. Perhaps he will wait until after the Olympics to turn pro, but then why quit the team if that is his intent? I know some olympic sports allows pros to compete, but I don't know if track and field is one.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Yeah, even as an opposing fan that's one of those plays that makes you want to "look away"

[​IMG]

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

It's unfortunate, but with the kind of offers X was getting - I can't blame him.

He's had several meetings with Miles about how he fits into the offense, and Miles just didn't really see him getting much playing time for the future.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The NCAA meet changed everything for Xavier Carter. He had been flirting with world-class status for some time but that performance made him a world class star. Suddenly his sunglasses contract alone will be worth a million. A good agent can now get him the resources he needs to compete at the top level and he has to get serious while he's at his prime. 2008 will be Carter's Olympics.

He was always a multi-sport athlete and pro football had always seemed to offer a better chance for the big bucks. But his performance in the NCAA meet changed all of that. He will be hyped as the next Jesse Owens between now and the Olympics and will be very high-profile. It was a choice between that and reserve wide receiver in college. It was a smart move.

The paper says that XC will return to LSU in the fall as a student and will work out in LSU facilities with coach Shaver.

LSU was going to use XC a lot at kick returner this year and we will miss that, but having an LSU trackster on the Wheaties box in 2008 would be sweet.

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

yes, he was a track phenom who brought recognition and prestige to LSU through his track accomplishments. i continue to stand by my statement though that he did not live up to his expectations in football (bust). for whatever reason..

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes, this frees up a scholarship. If you play football, you are on a football scholarship no matter whether you play other sports or not.