You Know You're A Coonass When...

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

DEFINITELY keep bacon grease. Drop some in your next pot of chili!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I worked the sound and lights for a rock band in the 70's that did gigs at the E-club. You could finish a set a 2 AM and still get served fried crawfish from the kitchen. Saw a lot of good regional acts there . . . Johnny Winter, The Uniques, Chase, GG Shinn, Edgar Winters White Trash . . .

It was the only place we gigged that actually had chicken wire around the stage. Not in front to catch beer bottles, like in the Blues Brothers, but along the sides to deter drunk coonasses from getting up on the stage and dancing.

Sure seems like a barren corner now.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

My uncle was even offended by the word cajun. Found it demeaning, for some reason. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it simply stems from the way Acadians pronounced the word "acadian."

My uncle was also infuriated by the movement (back in the '80s, I think) to have Acadian-Americans officially classified a minority.

4. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

NICE! :thumb:

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Yes from there to "cadiens" then "cajun" pronounced "ka janz". To me it's who we are and just our ancestry. Was always proud to throw a fist in the air and proclaim it in the right situation. Maybe we were wrong, hell, ignorance is bliss. :hihi:

You cook? :wave:

6. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

I embrace Cajun, and I can live with Coonass (in the right context). All the guys I hunt with here in TX call me coonass. They give me grief because I keep the entire duck, not just breast them out and call it good, for gumbo. They say, "you damn coonasses will eat anything". Yep, but at least we don't waste wild game!