You make the call

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltera75, Nov 22, 2009.

1. saltera75

saltera75 Freshman

I've been a long time reader of TF and short time member. This is my first post so unleash the wrath and let's have some good discussion.

If you go by statistics alone, in the Les Miles era LSU has gone 51-14 up to this season. In terms of winning, LSU has found ways to get it done. There is no question that this is an outstanding record that many college teams would die for. In terms of style, however, LSU has been lacking.

Statistics can say whatever you want them to say. They can be extremely misleading depending on the agenda one tries to promote. To me, our statistics indicate coaching issues. If a team consistently plays from behind or plays not to lose, and still finds a way to win, then that suggests a team running on raw talent alone. I believe the culprit is Crowton. Ultimately, Miles is at the helm so he is first and foremost responsible.

Are they bad coaches and should they be fired? If you look at statistics alone then you would be crazy to say so. After watching nail biter after nail biter with the level of athletes LSU has and has had in the past, you have to at least be able to sympathize with fan frustration, even if you don't empathize with them.

Should we be happy with a winning record alone? You can't expect to have blowout wins every game, and likewise you shouldn't expect to have close battles every game.
    Good teams find ways to win in close games.
    Good teams find ways to win without making it close.

Below is a recap from the Les Miles era.

2004-2005 9-3
    LSU came from behind to beat Oregon in OT.
    LSU lost to Auburn with no offensive showing.
    LSU never showed up for the Auburn game.
    LSU beat Florida. A win is a win, but this was another come from behind game.
    LSU BARELY beat Troy...in yet another come from behind victory.
    LSU was in a battle with Ole Miss with the outcome always in doubt. LSU never pulled away.

2005-2006 11-2

LSU and Arizona was a back and forth game, which in the end saw LSU come from behind to seal the deal with 1:10 left to play.
    LSU was up 21-0 in the first half against Tennessee and gave it all up in the 2nd half. Tennessee won in OT.
    LSU defeats Florida for the 2nd time in as many years. That is always a great day. LSU was down 17-14 in the 3rd and pulled out the victory in the 4th. Another come from behind game.
    LSU defeats Auburn. LSU led most of the game, but won a game decided by field goals. Another game that came down to the wire and ended with an LSU OT victory.
    LSU was down 10-0 at the half against Alabama and came from behind to win in OT.
    LSU led Arkansas 19-3 in the third and survived a comeback from Arkansas.

2006-2007 11-2

For the most part we easily marched to victory throughout the season. There were a couple of close games, but nothing to indicate that we are a team always playing on its heels.

2007-2008 12-2

LSU defeats Florida in the infamous 4th down conversion game, where LSU overcame a 10 point deficit to send the gators packing.
    LSU led Kentucky by 13 pts late in the 4th quarter. LSU gave up the lead and eventually lost in 3 OT.
    LSU, down 17-7 in the 2nd half over Auburn, comes from behind to win on a last minute TD by Flynn.
    LSU pulled out two touchdowns in the final few minutes to overcome a 7 pt deficit with less than 3 minutes to play.
    LSU and Arkansas was a back and forth contest from start to finish. LSU loses in 3 OT.

2008-2009 8-5

LSU came back from a 14-3 halftime deficit to secure the victory against Auburn.
    LSU was demoralized by Florida.
    LSU played from behind to shore up the victory against South Carolina. USC had a 17-10 advantage going into the 2nd half.
    LSU played from behind to beat Troy.
    LSU loses 5 regular season games.

1 person likes this.
  2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

there's something fishy about 2004.

i'll let you figure it out.

3. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

Look ! It's simple

I want a basic football coach that gets the best talent on the field and takes control of the sideline!

Bama no doubt Nick is calling it!

Gators no doubt Urban is calling it!!

LSU uh uh what down is it I thought we called the verbal time out as the clock is ticking!!

I want a football coach calling a time out on the 1st at the 32 ! Tell my team to man up and get our kicker 5 more yards. We will run it 3 times and call our last time out with 4 seconds to go! We will kick the field goal and win the game!! basic football

I guess that is asking to much!!!

4. saltera75

saltera75 Freshman

There is something fishy... the Ole Miss game should say "LSU finally pulled away".

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i stopped reading at 04 05. Its has 08 stuff mixed in it.

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Everybody in the SEC has talent...Ole Miss was supposed to challange Alabama for the title. Instead they are a distant 2nd. Should Ole Miss fans be calling for Nutt's head for "squandering talent"? He had a senior team and now are likely to wallow in medeocrity for 3-4 seasons. Should LSU fans be calling for Miles head after what he has accomplished here? Sure we have talent, YOUNG talent, and we are set to light it up next season. Could play calling been a better? No doubt, especially yesterday. But you can second guess every coach of every game on every Saturday.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

LOL.........

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

he forgot the word "state"

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

LOL... well that is correct but that is sooo far from the real error.

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$