Your best Dale Brown era game!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerball, Dec 17, 2005.

1. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Loyola-Marymount
    I had been to several games that season but I was forced to watch the Loyola game on TV, incredible game.

2. Goldmember

Goldmember Founding Member

I think it was '89 versus UNLV. Tarkanian brought a very talented and highly ranked squad here to get beat by Jackson feeding Blanton for the buzzer beater.:bball:

3. tigerball

tigerball Founding Member

My memory is failing, as in my gray matter, not gigs in your hard drive.
    It may have been this game, or OK.
    One of the best endings against a highly ranked team. I do remember LSU down by two with the guard (Jackson??) driving and feeding Blanton deep on the right baseline for a three to win at the buzzer. The highlights are in my memory, I just cannot read the opposing team jerseys to remember who they were.:lsup:

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The 1978 Kentucky game in the Assembly Center. Kentucky was ranked number one and LSU beat them with all five starters fouled out playing reserves, one of whom was Jordy Hultberg.

It was an amazing game.

5. Tiger1958

Tiger1958 Founding Member

Red,

Jordy Hultberg was maveolus on the floor. If you follow LSU team, Jordy never done anything like it until that Kentucky game.

6. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

So many.... some good, some bad.

The good...
    '78 -'79 Beat #1 Kentucky 95-94 OT was amazing. :thumb:

'80-'81 win over Wichita St 96-85 to get to the Final Four. :cool:

'85 -'86 run. Beat Purdue 94-87 (2OT), then #12 Memphis St. next 83-81 at home, then the shocker of beating #3 Kentucky 59-57 in Atlanta to reach the Final Four. (Lowest seed (11) ever to reach the Final Four). :rofl:

'90-'91 148-141 OT win against Loyola-Marymount. :thumb: :thumb:

The bad...
    '80-81 2nd half collapse against Indiana in Final Four. :dis:

'86-'87 Fess Irwin FT miss, Tigers lose 77-76 to Indiana in Cincinatti. :cuss:
    '93-'94 99-95 loss to Kentucky...blowing 31 pt lead :angryfire

7. tigerball

tigerball Founding Member

I don't regard that a collapse. LSU was up at half, just could not hold on. I believe that was the game Rudy, while rebounding, had his finger pushed back so far the skin ruptured and had to stiched. He was a non factor in the second half.

Knight should have been ejected. The jump ball with Fess was bogus. The turning point was Woodside fouling out with a ten point lead with five min to go. No more defense. Bernard Woodside and Olie Brown, two best defenders ever. Ricky Blanton and Don Redden (RIP) - my heros.
    Worse loss in my opinion - ever.:lsup:

8. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

I manily remember that the Tigers only scored 10 pts in the first 17 min of the second half. Things didn't go right in the 2nd half for sure.

Agree. All those were keys to the loss. Despite all that, Fess had a chance to win it. The missed FTs didn't lose it that day, but it could have won it.

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

No loss hurt more, IMO, than that one. To know LSU was a FT or so away from making the Final Four in New Orleans...wow, what a scene that would have been.:hihi:

10. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Ricky Blanton with a putback as time expires to beat Georgetown in the Superdome. Uncle Dale was up to his old tricks as he installed an all-Caucasian lineup against John Thompson's all-"superior black athlete" lineup. The dome was as loud as it is for any Saints game.

One of those wins over Notre Dame in the dome also stands out for me.

And who can forget the run and gun against LMU. That game was unbelieveable. Too bad I was watching on the tube.

And finally, the '92 game against Duke in the PMAC. I remember sleeping in a tent for that game, and going to class in shifts to hold our spot. My friend was first in line for that game, and had his pic in The Reveille.