Your first time at Tiger Stadium was......?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Dec 3, 2003.

1. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

For me it was the 1983 Washington/LSU game...which LSU won..

2. Shadeauxcaster

Shadeauxcaster Founding Member

1970 vs Texas A&M in the first game of that season. I went with my best friend in high school's family and I was awestruck. I was 15 years old and had never even seen more than a couple of hundred people at one time before in my life. LSU had the game well in hand with seconds to go and A&M backed up on their end of the field and somehow # 88 Carl Roaches got behind everyone and caught a long pass in stride and outran the field to the end zone to beat the Tigers 20-18. I have hated the Aggies ever since.

I also got to go to the Ole Miss game that year and saw Bert Jones pass to Brad Davis with no time on the clock to win 17-16 after the pat. I remember the fans fought like cats and dogs the whole game. The Ole Miss section was a sea of Rebel flags in the south end zone and Tiger fans in the overhanging upper section set "confiscated" flags ON FIRE and threw them down onto the Rebs below throughout the game. There was bedlam after the Jones to Davis pass and fights broke out in earnest down close to the field. The refs had to clear the field for the extra point to be kicked for the winning point at which time the Tiger Band Brayed, the Rebel Band struck up Dixe again and the fights spilled out onto the field. It was glorious to a 15 year old.

I dont remember anyone complaining about either the fights, the flags or setting fire to one another. That was expected and apparently looked forward to by all concerned. Plenty was complained about regarding the clock and the score, but that is another story!

3. Shadeauxcaster

Shadeauxcaster Founding Member

I got to thinking about it, and it was the 61-17 trouncing of Ole Miss and Archie Who that I got to go to in 1970. It was in 1972 when I was a senior in high school that Bert Jones and Davis scored after the horn. That was the only game I got to go to that year. My family had no connection to LSU and we lived about 100 miles away and I had to get lucky and get taken by someone else to get in. I never missed a game on the radio if I wasnt there though, and would ride around in the old man's oldsmobile and listen to the games on Saturday night when they played. One of the greatest days of my life was that first day when I arrived on campus as a freshman on a motorcycle the first day that the dorms opened. I thought I had arrived in Paradise. I was right.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

mine was about 15 years ago. i was in middle school. my dad let me borrow his binoculars and then embarassed me by noticing i was obsessed with studyin the golden girls. i also noticed i hated those damn cowbells the miss st fans had.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

1963. LSU vs. Miami with George Mira at QB. It was Band Night and I was a freshman (High School) band member. I got to go onto the field at halftime with all of the bands to form an L-S-U and play the LSU fight song. I will never forget how lush the grass on the field was. As I recall, the Tigers whipped the 'Canes that night.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Strange how you can remember things like that from long ago. I was just a kid and I'm not sure if I was there or not but I know that the score was either 41-0 or 17-3. Maybe it was a home and home with the Canes and the Tigers won 41-0 on the road and 17-3 at home. I didn't look this up but if anybody wants to and it turns out that I'm right maybe I haven't killed as many brain cells as I thought I have.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I looked it up. LSU won 3-0. Mira was a much-hyped All-American QB and we shut them out. The more things change....;)

8. attigeratlaw

attigeratlaw Founding Member

I'm not quite sure which one was first- sometime during early to mid-eighties. I was a little young so the memories are a little hazy.

I remember oranges falling from the sky. Not just single oranges, but sacks of them. I think it was a Florida State game that sent us to the orange bowl.

There was another that sent us to the sugar bowl. There were sugar cubes flying around and the occassional one pound bag rolling down the stairways.

The first game I remember specifically was the Earthquake Game. That was the cheese in the mousetrap. I 've been hooked ever since.

9. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter Founding Member

My first visit to Tiger Stadium was around 1964 or 1965. My dad and my uncles had season tickets and for one game a year, my mom and aunts would stay home and my dad and uncles would bring me and my cousins to the game. We were little kids-about 6 or 7 years old. Things I remember from back then--people dressed up to go to the game, men in coats and tie. This was before I-10 was built, took Airline Hwy from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. We would stop at Airline Motors in LaPlace to eat on the way to the game. Brings back memories, my dad and my uncles are all gone now, I wonder if someway they are looking at and enjoying this exciting LSU season.

10. Ironman

Ironman Freshman

September 29, 1979

USC 17
    LSU 12

USC was ranked # 1 and the talk at the time was that they could compete in the NFL with the OL. QB McDonald. & Charles White, they were ahead of their time. Cholly Mac called them the most talented team ever to play in Tiger Stadium, and quite honestly at 14 I was a fan too. I think it was a crowd record for the time 78,000 and change. There were many special monemts in that game, but let me mention two:

With LSU ahead 12 - 10 USC had it right in front of me on their own 36 -- third & 9. A USC lineman jumped offsides and they played on; Benji Thibodeaux charged with Lavalais-like quickness and engulfed McDonald who barely got rid of his pass which was incomplete. When I saw the flag I thought great! decline it and get the ball. Thibodeaux had is hand on McDonald's facemask. Not tugging the mask you see because the tackle was so complete his hand was just touching it. This was before the incidental penalty of 5 yards, therefore this penalty was 15 and a first down. The off sides had gone uncalled! Bryant Gumble would later that year use the replay to garner momentum for the necessary rule change. With 32 seconds left they took the lead 17 - 12. Comeback efforts by Ensminger fell incomplete in the end zone. Which leads to the second special moment.

For at least a half hour after that game the stands were packed. It was a curtain call the likes of which I will never see again. "WE-ARE-PROUD OF YOU-YEA-WE-ARE-PROUD OF YOU" ... I just got chills again, that happens. The players emerged after showers, fighting tears the same as all of us, and the place erupted again. They embraced the fans, litterally, climbed the wall and celebrated the effort.

From that moment I never ever considered going to school anywhere else.