Your high school era - music

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Herb

Herb Founding Member

2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

3. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Lady Gaga has nothing on Peter Gabriel:

4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Shit. Herb has caught Steve's youtube disease.

6. Herb

Herb Founding Member

My high school years were a fertile time indeed.

7. KyleK

I graduated in 79. Some pretty cool music at the time. What made it even better was that Studio in the Country is located in my hometown (Bogalusa) and some pretty awesome bands of the day recorded there. We would sometimes see these guys in town, or even occasionally get to hear them play. Stevie Wonder played a concert during 6th period for us in our high school auditorium. Kansas recorded there my senior year, as well as many other well known bands of the day. LeRoux, Jimmy Buffet, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and several others recorded there during that time. My dad designed the studio and I was lucky enough to occasionally get to go there and catch a glimpse or 2 of some of these dudes at the studio. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

http://www.studiointhecountry.com

tirk likes this.
  8. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Paul McCartney recorded some stuff at Studio in the Country in the early 1970's.

Frustrating story: our grandfather (Steve and mine) used to be part owner of Kolb's Restaurant and up until I was about 7 years old we used to spend every Mardi Gras there enjoying the parades and revelry from the balcony. He sold his interest in about 1970-71. The very next year, Paul and Linda McCartney were doing some recording sessions at Studio in the Country and were in town during Mardi Gras. Take a guess where they enjoyed the parades from?

9. Herb

Herb Founding Member

My bad.

McCartney recorded at SeaSaint studios, not Studio in the Country.

SeaSaint was co-owned by Marshall Seahorn and Allen Toussaint.

10. KyleK

I'm glad you corrected yourself. I was gonna tell you that couldn't have happened in that SITC was not completed until late '73 or early '74. I had also never heard of him recording at SITC.

Interesting tidbit, according to the US Bureau of Standards, SITC is one of the most acuoustically perfect buildings in the world. They really spared no expense on that place. If you are interested in how a 1st class studio goes together, check out bleuevans.com. Bill (Bleu) was the original owner and was the brainchild behind it. He has pics and commentary of the whole thing going together.