Your most likeable coach in the SEC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 29, 2009.

?

Which coach do you like the most in the SEC?

1. Mark Richt

16.4%
  2. Nick Saban

5.7%
  3. Urban Meyer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Houston Nutt

30.3%
  5. Lane Kiffin

0.8%
  6. Bobby Petrino

1.6%
  7. Steve Spurrier

9.8%
  8. Bobby Johnson

21.3%
  9. Gene Chizik

1.6%
  10. Dan Mullen

0.8%
  11. Rich Brooks

11.5%
  1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I voted for Richt.

I've been around Richt and Spurrier on the golf course on several occasions, along with several other ex-SEC and non-SEC coaches.

I've known Nutt and Tuberville since they both were teens, and I sat next to Bobby Johnson once on a plane ride from Atlanta to Lexington.

Honestly, they are all pretty good guys from an interpersonal perspective.
    Miles and Chizik are two guys I'd like to meet some day to see what they are like in person. I have no desire to meet Meyer.

Richt is as nice of a guy as you'll ever want to meet and he knows how to take a ribbing. All around good guy, IMHO.

2. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Nutt was my initial thought...but he's in our Tiger's heads, now.

I went with Brooks because he seems genuinely disinterested in stardom. He just wants to win.

3. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Watching Johnson after the Auburn and BC wins, he just seems like a guy who really cares about his players.

Though the story I think of is last year when we lost to Kentucky, how Miles waited for a couple of hours at the stadium until the fans left to congratulate Brooks on the win. Things like that make me proud to have Les with us.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I had to vote for lil nickie. He was nice enough to let Les win a NC with his players all under the guise of greed and money. Most of you dont realize what a selfless person that type of deed requires.

2 people like this.
  5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Sounds like Cadillacattack has the most valid opinion based on what he knows about the coaches personally so I'd have to defer to him on that; if it wasn't for the fact that Richt and the president of UGA had to essentially be told to shut up by the SEC commishoner for whining to the press about how they were robbed of the NC immediately after the game the last time we won.

I voted for Saban because he still says nice things about LSU, the fans here and, the friends they still have in Louisiana. I know he's at Bama. And I'm not sure the rumors about him trying to report LSU for recruiting violations with RR are true, (but if they are I'd reconsider) or not. So in the interest of being truly impartial I tried to imagine how I'd feel about him when he leaves Alabama for Penn State. If he walked in my restaurant right now, I'd probably thank him for how he helped us get back into national prominence.

A more fun poll would be what coach we dislike the most. My vote would go to Tubberville for the cigars, the stomping on the eye of the tiger, and the chop blocks. AU is so much better off with Chizyck.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

It was tough but I voted for Mark Richt.
    I wanted to vote for Bobby Johnson but I haven't had as much exposure to
    him as Richt.
    Houston Nutt would be my third.

Btw, Nick Saban would probably be last for me.
    That is all about personality and the harshness he seems to have.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Easily the best post of the topic.

8. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

Isn't Bobby Petrino such a nice guy???

He gets my vote.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Nobody likes Urban Liar?

Wow.

10. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

i don't know that my opinion is any more "valid" than anyone else's, .... maybe just different. Head Coaches in general receive most of the glory when things are rolling, and they generally receive the lion's share of blame when things turn. Even though it's usually the position coaches that control most of the gameday activities, the coach reaps the results .... so he had better be damn good at gameweek preparation.

IMO that's one of the things Miles doesn't get enough credit for. He has gotten away with rolling the dice because his staff and teams are prepared to execute them. The point is, their gameday activities and the resulting media coverage may shape their public persona, but IMHO it rarely matches the individual person.

Your comment about disliking Richt is also the very same reason that his players play hard for him .... he fights for them. (and prospects and their momma's love him for it)

Richt is simply smart enough to understand that media pandering plays a major role in the influence of voter opinion when it comes to a subjective championship. It's just a basic principal of the formula for success.

I suspect that if Richt were coaching a team you were a fan of, there would be a lot more things to like him for than to hold against. :thumb:

Trust me, holding grudges isn't a healthy behavior for folks. And anyway, there isn't a coach within the Top 10 that isn't constantly trying to "sell" the media on their particular case. :wink:

[​IMG]