Your official "How Does LSU make its way into the BCS Title Game?" Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 9, 2010.

1. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

IMO ...

Boisy State is a no go. Period .. their sched is just too weak. The best they can hope for is a #4 ranking in the end.

TCU, if they win out, will be in the NC if either oregon or AU lose a game.

If Oregon and AU lose just 1 game, AU will play TCU

If AU loses 2 games ....... LSU "may" play in the NC against TCU. It will be a toss up between a 1 loss Oregon and a 1 loss LSU. [a loss in the SEC CG against a weak SECE opponent will hurt AU pretty bad].

It's all going to be dependent on how far a one loss Oregon and 2 loss AU fall in the polls. LSU can't do anything to move up in the polls, but Oregon and AU can most certainly move down. ..... but then .. .so can LSU.

Arky worries me a bit. LSU beat bama and almost beat AU. Arky should have beat bama, and could have beat AU.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Really!!!! I mean all of us know it is pie in the sky, but the fact that weird things have happened in the past which allowed us to get in, gives most the slightest glimmer of hope that it could happen again.

That said, Herby is already on his campaign that the only way we get in is to make it to the win out, and make it to the SECCG. We know this is the best and most concrete way to make it in, but as you have pointed out there are scenarios that we can still make it without that.

Was reading this morning in the analysis for the ULM game, Miles comments at the end of the write up it is too early to start campaigning for why we belong if the cards play out, but he states that when the time is right he will campaign hard for which ever SEC team is in position to make it to the BCSNCG.

We all know how his campaigning works. Hell, he got a 10-2 team to jump over 5 teams ranked ahead of him, because he was able to convince the voters that LSU was undefeated in regulation time. For all his faults with time management, he most definitely was better than any other coach on the planet on that call.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

A 2 loss Auburn IS GOING TO BE BEHIND LSU in the human polls and will be way behind us in the computer polls (by at 5 spots). Not sure why you're entertaining that idea. Just because they beat us head to head does not carry that much clout.

Oregon losing the last game of the season will be our best shot at overtaking them if they only lose once. Again, LSU will have a decided advantage over Oregon in the computer polls (at least 2-3 spots). Once again, LSU would not have to overtake them necessarily in the human polls to be #2 in the BCS. People keep forgetting the computer element as it is loving it some LSU.

Later on I will try to post some computer poll projections given Oregon and Auburn with a loss, TCU and Boise State uindefeated.

4. aztiger

aztiger Missing Crawfish & LSU

Easiest way to get there, and everyday it looks more and more possible (noticed I said possible, not likely) is Newton declared ineligible, they lose 2, we win out and win the SEC Champ game (this is VERY difficult by itself) and Oregon loses their last game of the year to Oregon State. We play TCU in BCS Champ. To me, all of these things have to happen, because with Newton I dont think Auburn will lose both. I would not lay money on this "trifecta" but it is possible, and the Newton thing is already being rumored, that is domino #1.

5. islstl

But you can't count on the Cam Newton ineligibility happening this season, that's the problem. No way in hell the NCAA acts that quickly unless something just falls from the sky and they are forced to take action.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think right now, the only thing that it could effect is his mental aspect of the game. How will this team react with all of the distractions? How will Cam react? Is it going to be too much for him mentally, and will that translate on the field.

That Georgia game is going to be "must see tv" for sure.

7. islstl

I do agree with that.

It didn't affect him for Ole Miss, but all the stuff is hitting the fan right now and it's a different ball game (literally and figuratively).

And we're talking about a kid who has been reckless and made a myriad of stupid decisions. Hopefully he can do that on the football field this Saturday.

8. aztiger

aztiger Missing Crawfish & LSU

I agree, and that's why I said possibly. However, if the NCAA opens investigation on him in relationship to Auburn, they will have to sit him. Today is the first time their has been anything written about Auburn's possible connection to a "pay for play" scheme. Before it was all on Newton's dad only. The source saying that Cam said "the Auburn money is just to much" is the ONLY thing that has linked anyone associated with Auburn and could possibly start an investigation.
    It is a distraction for sure, and that may be enough to throw them off.
    The last thing in the world the NCAA wants is for this to blow up after they are in the National Championship game and have the premier player in the country out for that game. NCAA and all involved would lose too much money and it would be the worst scandal since the "black sox". Timing is everything on this deal, and its bad for Auburn IF there is truth to this stuff.

9. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

I would not be at all surprised to see Oregon lose a game or even two. I cannot understand how they have managed to get such a disproportionate number of first place votes. All but two of their opponents have losing records! Their opponents are a combined 32-50! Auburn's opponents are 55-36! Take out the losses to Auburn and their opponents are 55-26 (Oregon's are 32-41). Yet, Oregon got 50 first place votes to Auburn's 4 in the USA Today (49 to 2 in the AP). I know, I know, Oregon opened the season ranked higher, but TCU and Boise ranked higher than both. Given recent history, it should be practically automatic to rank the SEC team higher.

10. islstl

It's called preseason polls. They are a dumb as shyt idea and should be abolished.

The first polls should not come out until the 5th week of the season.