Your official "How Does LSU make its way into the BCS Title Game?" Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

So, LSU could win out, and AU could lose the next two. Is LSU better than AU? AU beat LSU.

I don't have a problem with your opinion, but yeah...you can be the better team and still not win your conference.

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The thing to take from that article and probably something I should have harped on is that no one in their right mind wants to see Boise State play TCU for the national championship. What would it prove? Nothing. Other than giving SabanFan a conniption fit.

That's why no matter how much the voters may not like LSU as a sexy pick, they would be forced to in this situation. They would vault LSU past Boise State or at least close enough in point total to overtake them in the BCS Standings.

That is why this scenario of LSU getting to the national championship without even winning their division is not that crazy of an idea.

In the simplest of terms, we could very well be waiting for Oregon and Auburn to just lose a game. The chance of that happening is probably on the order of nearly and probably more than 50 percent.

4. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Fixed.

5. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

If you're going to fix something like that, you should check the spelling of your correction. :)

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

As Izzy pointed out we maynot be the sexy pick, but the good news is we've been in this position before. We weren't the popular/sexy pick in 2003 or 2007. For the record here, just entertain this thought. Has Miles been campaigning all season. Think about it, in a season where we were considered pretty irrelevant Miles has kept us on the front page by taking bullets left and right. Bad press is better than no press. Keeps our name in front of them and when its time we come out and dominate the defending NC. With the country watching and we shine like a diamond and are now sitting pretty. Just a thought. I wouldn't put it past him.

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

True they don't have championship games, but they do crown a conference champion.

If AU loses the SECCG and finished with 1 loss and we win out, AU still one more win then us (12-1 vs 11-1) and they still own the H2H.

P.S. (Ramprat, check your PM).

8. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Ummmm .. Izzy .... let me repost my quote .....

"If AU loses 2 games ....... LSU "may" play in the NC against TCU. It will be a toss up between a 1 loss Oregon and a 1 loss LSU. [a loss in the SEC CG against a weak SECE opponent will hurt AU pretty bad]."

I'm not sure what idea you're thinking I'm entertaining ... but as I noted in the quote .... a 2 loss AU is out.

Either LSU or Oregon would play TCU in the NC. I'm not even sure that AU beats out LSU with only one loss in the SEC CG ... as the loss would be to a much weaker opponent than the AU loss for LSU. It's concievable that an SEC CG loss could drop AU below LSU such that LSU could still go to the dance in a case of a three way tie between Oregon, AU and LSU.

Between LSU and Oregaon, based on what you and many have noted, LSU would come out on top in the computer polls, while Oregon would likely comeout on top of the human polls.

The only certain, IMO, is that if Oregon and AU both lose one game, TCU will play in the NC game. Who they play against is the big question.
    :geaux:

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think you bring up a great point. Les was campaigning for LSU immediately after the win over Bama on ESPN.

I know LSU's track record under Miles in bowl games also gives LSU a litle more impetus to select us over Oregon and Oregon, should we all finish with a single loss.

10. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

You're dreaming. The human polls will decide this and there is a 0% chance that the pollsters will pick a one loss team that didn't win it's division over a one loss conference champion from a major conference.

This is '07 all over again. LSU was the highest ranked conference champion in '07 so they got the other spot. The pollsters just jumped them from #7 to #2. The highest ranked one loss team from the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, or Pac 10 will get the other spot this year. LSU's only chance is to win the SEC.

My guess is that Oregon or Auburn could lose one game, as long as that game doesn't cost them the conference title, they will get the other spot.