Your official "How Does LSU make its way into the BCS Title Game?" Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 9, 2010.

1. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I think that the rules should be changed to require that a team win their conference in order to be eligible for the championship game.

However, under the current rules, if LSU can get to the top 2, then I'd love for all of the necessary dominoes to fall into place to make that happen.

In other words, it sounds like we both think the current rules should be changed - but since the rules are what they are, there's no reason LSU shouldn't be able to benefit from the rules.

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I heard an interview with the BCS commish and he already stated that a team that doesn't win their conference isn't eligible. My interest is seeing Auburn and LSU finishing 1-2 and blowing up the process...all pointing even further to a playoff.

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I'd love to read or hear that interview, and I love when the BCS system looks bad because I also want a playoff.

The rules ARE pretty clear in who is eligible and not eligible for the various spots in the BCS bowls, and nowhere does it state that the top 2 teams in the title game need to be conference champs.

4. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

Yea, islstl's initial post is really good and really gets you focused on the remainder of the season - lots of thought went into it.

I'm just hoping our Tigers stay focused, take care of business and win out. In spite of the records, Nutt almost always finds a way to give us fits. Now that the Hogs seem to have found a running game, that one will be hard - especially in Little Rock.

Winning out is all the Tigers have any control over at this point. If the Tigers can win out, the BCS NC game may be a possibility. I think a BCS Bowl game is a probability. Either way, the Tigers have a great season.
    :eek:ldskule:

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

You took the words out of my mouth. To me the more f'd up the scenario the more likely we will make it.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Correct.

The top 2 teams in the final BCS poll published on Dec 5th, 2010 are going to playing for the championship.

7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I wonder when Miles will start his campaigning to get us in the dance. You know should we go 11-1, AU drops 1 or the SECCG, Miles will start campaigning hard that we are better than either TCU or Boise, especially if some of the other things that need to happen, happen.

8. souljaslim1

souljaslim1 Bigg Daddy

I was at both games .. live and in living color ..

2003 LSU was conference champs

2007 LSU was conference champs

LSU didnt have four undefeated teams ahead of them to worry about this late in the season..a lot of things need to happen for LSU to have a shot at the BCSNCG..

LSU-11-1 .. SUGARBOWL BOUND..

9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Hmmm...I could have sworn he said they wouldn't allow two schools from the same conference because of the "must win the conference" rule.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

My favorite BCS tidbit of all time was in 2003, in which the Billingsley Poll had LSU at #2 and USC at #3 in their final poll (OU was so far ahead that the loss to Kansas State in their CG still had them comfortably in first place). Had LSU not overtaken USC in that final week of the poll (LSU beat Georgia while USC beat Oregon State), USC would have played OU instead for the national title.

The final rankings were:

1. OU = 309.799
    2. LSU = 300.683
    3. USC = 300.567

Billingsley Report on Major College Football

I can't tell you what line of code had LSU winning by that small of a percentage, but it probably had to do with our opponent's opponent's opponent's SOS.

My heart sunk to my shoes when I got to finally view the final results. Even though I projected LSU to come out 2nd, I had no idea it was going to be that close.