News Ze Germans

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 2, 2014.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

its stupid not to do the same here. its just smart for the country. make admission tough, education good, and free of charge.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I agree that higher education should be available and affordable for anybody who is capable of taking advantage of it but there are vastly different levels of quality in colleges. It costs a bundle to go to Harvard, MIT or Stanford, ect. but its well worth it There are some pretty good quality state supported colleges all the way down to some pretty crappy ones. It costs a lot of money to hire the best professors and build the best research facilities and do everything it takes to be as top quality as possible. There are scholarships available, TOPS, Pell Grants and other sources for funding an education. I hate to see anybody have to take student loans because that gets them started out in their post graduate career in massive debt.

Admission should be tough at quality schools and less stringent at places where the education you get is good but not world class. There needs to be financial help available but I don't believe it should all be totally free. We are talking billions and billions of dollars and a lot of it would be wasted on people who really aren't on a college career path but who would try it anyway if they didn't have to pay for it. A lot of those people would be better off going to some kind of technical school or a trade school to learn a marketable skill.

When I started at LSU the only admission requirement was that you had a diploma from a Louisiana high school. There were thousands of students who went for the first semester or two, partied their asses off and flunked out. They went on to become plumbers, electricians, cops, firemen, oil rig workers, yada yada yada. They should have been doing that in the first place

gyver likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It has always been this way.

Sure, but many realize that when they find that they aren't cut out for college. You find that out by going to college.

4. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Being that the government is the most wasteful spending organization in the free world. Yes I do have a problem with being over taxed. They spend $250,000 on a $150,000 apparatus. $80 on a $30 flashlight. The politicians are paid double what they are actually worth and only have to put in a third of the years to retire. Our tax dollars would be better spent at home than given abroad.

Winston1 and Bengal B like this.
  5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

you arent overtaxed.

and gov spending on higher ed has plummetted and signals that we're either stupid or giving up.

6. gyver

We get less for our tax dollars than ever before. If you want to fire your accountant and check the box to contribute extra to their campaigns go right ahead. If you think spending $100,000,000 + for the presidents to go on vacation is ok then your a dumbass. Me. I say fuck every one of them over paid wasteful spending bastards.

Bengal B likes this.
  7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

this has nothing to do with you being overtaxed. youre just mad. take up knitting or something.

8. gyver

I already have a hobby. I fight fires and extricate people from wrecked cars.
    I also help develop a budget for the FD. That's how I know there is so much waste. The supervisors have no problem cutting our budget and denying our raises but seen to find the money to waste on a man to babysit a bunch of kids at %25 more per year.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Education will get cut so a billionaire doesn't have to pay more taxes. But you know who does? The middle class. But here in the south, we are all soon to be billionaires right?

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Where do I go to get in the billionaires line and get mine?