Overrated College Coaches - interesting

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Jul 9, 2021.

1. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/overrated-college-football-coaches-8fc867a7fdc940df

Was surprised to see Paul Dietzel made this list, initially. But he did only have 3 winning seasons at LSU. (1958 ,1959 & 1961) Still kind of a head scratcher, due to the fact it was so long ago. But Minnesota's 50's championship coach was also listed. Worth a read, or a look, imo.

"These are the most overrated coaches in college football history — guys who didn't deliver the goods."

Paul Dietzel

"One of the few coaches to win a national championship and make this list, Paul Dietzel did not start out with a bang and ended with a whimper.

His first three seasons at LSU were unremarkable — two losing seasons and a .500 record in 1957 — before he struck gold in 1958 when the Tigers went 11-0 and won a national title.

But Dietzel left LSU after the 1961 season for Army and his career spiraled into mediocrity at West Point and then at South Carolina. He never even won another bowl game and posted losing records in seven of his final 10 seasons."

"I have been criticized by some sportswriters for my moves from Louisiana State to Army and, more recently, from Army to South Carolina. I have been called a carpetbagger and a contract jumper and have been accused of showing bad faith. I feel obligated now to say something in my defense, since these writers never bothered to learn the true facts. I have never threatened to break, nor have I ever broken, a contract in my life." —Paul Dietzel, Sports Illustrated"

Charles McClendon

"Another coaching relic from a different era, Charles McClendon somehow lasted 18 seasons at LSU without coming close to a national title and winning just one SEC title, in 1970, the same season the Tigers lost in the Orange Bowl.

What's even more incredible about McClendon keeping his job for that long was his record against two of LSU's most hated rivals. He went 4-7-1 against Ole Miss and 2-14 against Bear Bryant and Alabama.

McClendon still holds the LSU career record for wins (135), losses (61) and bowl losses, with six."

"We wouldn't have a Southeastern Conference if they kicked out everybody who didn't beat Alabama." —Charles McClendon, The Washington Post"

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The level of skullduggery that went on during Bobby Collins' tenure at SMU should make him #1 on this list.

XXL TideFan and GiantDuckFan like this.
  3. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Eric & Craig
    [​IMG]

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

"Pony Express" was the best of ESPN's original 30 for 30's, IMO.

GiantDuckFan, Winston1 and TigerTap like this.
  5. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

6. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Thxs