Who is the better quarterback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mrx, Apr 14, 2006.

1. mrx

mrx Founding Member

Chris Leak or Jamarcus Russell?

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

JaMarcus Russell. I've always thought Leak was overrated.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I think Russell has the better arm (no doubt) and in time, may prove to erase any doubts about his in-game decision making (an area that he seemed to be better at as the season wore on).

The only reasonable way to compare the two is to look at the first full season as the starter for both QB's.

For Leak, 2003:

Leak had -53 net rushing yards and 2 rushing TD's
    was 190 of 320 for 2435 yards with 16 TD's and 11 INT's

For Russell, 2005:

Russell had -22 net rushing yards and 2 rushing TD's
    was 180 of 310 for 2434 yards with 15 TD's and 9 INT's

Their #'s are almost identical! But when you consider Russell threw for only 1 yard fewer, dispite 10 less attempts, and was tackled for a loss MUCH LESS than Leak, Russell also threw 2 less INT's.

Now, my question isn't "who's better", it's: When Leak put up those numbers everyone (fans, etc.) was all high on him...but when Russell puts up almost identical numbers--some categories even BETTER than Leak--we can't seem to give him enough credit?! :confused:

Personally, I'd take JR over Leak.

4. friday

friday Founding Member

mrx - who do you think is a better QB and why?

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Great analysis. Also, this doesn't account for all the dropped passes that made JaMarcus's numbers look worse than they really were.

However, wasn't JR a year older than Leak before becoming a full time starter?

6. BostonBengal

Yeah. JR was a full-time starter as a soph (with some PT under his belt--but would you consider it extensive playing time???) while Leak was a Frosh. It's not an exact scientific analysis--but I think it's still pretty fair.

7. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Then when you factor in the "clutch performances" JR looks like a superbowl MVP compared to Leak, and just about every other QB in the SEC.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes. Leak doesn't lead his team to come backs or win the close games for them.

9. BostonBengal

You'll have to excuse the "Patriot comparison" (but I am in New England) but it's just like Vinateri (or better still, Tom Brady a few years back when he didn't nec. lead the league in every passing category, but he just didn't waiver when the game was on the line)...He (Vinateri) might not make every kick (or in JR's case, every throw)--just like Brady didn't exactly make sportscenter highlights with too many 60+ yard TD bombs like Peyton Manning does, but when the game's on the line, both just come through when it counts and so does JR--and to me--that's the biggest statistical category (not to mention the most important).

No matter how well (or how poor) JR did in any game last season, the thing that mattered most was when he NEEDED to make a throw, he delivered.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Good luck. mrx sticking around for the discussion? That's funny!